Read the Case Study
Innovative. Durable. Practical. Proven.
The previously installed trench access covers were worn, outdated and unfit for purpose. The primary issues were:
- They were unable to withstand heavy loads which had caused them to crack and deform
- They posed potential safety issues to pedestrian and service vehicular traffic due to the covers being distorted
- Covers had no surface tread pattern, potentially causing their surfaces to become slippery when wet
- The existing covers had to be repeatedly cut and replaced to accommodate cable runs for a variety of staged events
Fibrelite custom designed, engineered and supplied retrofit trench access covers for the stadium, which could be installed directly into existing framework, minimising disruption. Fibrelite’s technical team worked closely with the stadium’s technical team to provide the best possible solution for both their immediate and long-term requirements, which, included an industry recognised fire rating.
Key features of the Fibrelite covers used in this project:
- Custom manufactured to fit existing 38mm deep frames
- C250 (BS EN124) load rated
- Bespoke cable ports which can be easily removed and replaced by hand. These also accommodate electrical cabling which exits from the trench to above ground networks
- Lightweight, allowing easy and safe removal by 2 people using Fibrelite’s FL7 lifting handles
- A ‘fit and forget’ solution: corrosion-resistant, unaffected by water, underground gasses and most chemicals
- Fire resistance to BS 476-7, class 0 of the Fire Safety Building Regulations 2000
- Anti-slip/skid surface provides skid resistance in both wet and dry conditions that exceed the requirements of:
– UK Slip Resistance Guidelines: issue 4:2011
– EN124:1994/PAS26: 1998
– HAA1049: 2009
- Aesthetically pleasing
This stadium now has a safe, lightweight long-term trench access solution which will last for years with minimal maintenance.
The Ultimate in Composite Engineering