Read the Case Study
Operational difficulties posed by the previously existing concrete cover slabs led to an essential replacement programme being mandated. The end user had recently moved into the facility and established that an alternative covering solution would be needed to optimise future operations due to specialist personnel and machinery being required for removal and replacement of concrete slabs and other issues including:
- Previously existing D400 concrete covers were extremely heavy and cracked in some areas (as pictured stacked, awaiting disposal)
- Central and offset service access ports required in order to allow easy access to services without the need to completely remove covers
A smooth finish was also required (no tread pattern).
Following the requested site survey, which was completed by the Fibrelite team, a solution was presented to the end user. A collaborative process between the Fibrelite team the construction company and the end user was instrumental in engineering an appropriate solution for this unique upgrade project. Fibrelite GRP covers are extremely durable yet lightweight making them ideal for easy manual handling (designed to be removed manually by two people).
Key Fibrelite engineering achievements for this project:
- Fibrelite trench covers are designed to be safely removed and replaced by two people using the ergonomically designed FL7 lifting handles
- The Fibrelite replacement covering solution included covers modified to include central and offset service access ports
- Fibrelite covers moulded without the tread pattern per customer request to achieve a smooth finish
- Installation of the Fibrelite framing system into the existing precast rebate using an epoxy grouting system
The easy access solution provided by Fibrelite eliminates the need for specialist personnel or machinery during maintenance or operation.
Key benefits of Fibrelite trench covers:
- Easy access to trench services using the ergonomically designed Fibrelite FL7 lifting handles
- Best strength to weight ratio available in the market
- Retrofit installation of bespoke Fibrelite frames
- Custom designed and engineered trench covers
- Fast installation
The Ultimate in Composite Engineering