Read the Case Study
Fibrelite’s lightweight 1.4m composite covers (type FL140) have recently been installed replacing heavy cast iron covers in a remote area targeted by metal thieves.
The newly installed FL140 C250 covers now provide safe and easy access to the underground piping and valves eliminating unsafe manual handling issues associated with removing large traditional cast iron alternatives.
In addition the load bearing, maintenance free composite covers have no resale value providing the perfect deterrent to metal thieves. Theft of manhole covers from remote or isolated areas is becoming a huge problem for all water companies costing the industry millions of pounds a year.
With resin transfer moulded (RTM) composite having zero resale value to the scrap market, they are an ideal consistently dependable fit and forget product in remote areas targeted by metal thieves.
Cost Competitive – Whole Life Cost
Composite covers have always been seen as a high-cost alternative to traditional metal products. However, with Fibrelite’s technological advances in the manufacturing process, the development of our B 125 covers and rising metal prices, composite can now compete head to head with the likes of cast iron. Fibrelite has offices around the world with technical advice available at all times and working with the designers has ensured that the client has the right product for the application required.
Innovative. Durable. Practical. Proven.
“Using these covers eliminates manual handling issues and injury; the keys are at waist height so there’s no need to bend down and the covers don’t seize up so we don’t need to bend down with extra tools to release them. And because they’re so light, lifting is quicker which means we get more work done.”
Summary of Benefits
- Composite is lightweight, durable and strong
- Zero resale value to the scrap market so will not be stolen
- Specially designed lifting aid eliminates back injury and crushed fingers
- Non-metallic, non-conductive and will not spark
- Excellent insulator against heat
- Unaffected by underground gasses and most chemicals
- Incredibly strong monolithic structure that will not delaminate
- Treads incorporate a specialised anti-slip material equivalent to modern high-grade road surface
- Range of UV stable colors colours available that will not flake or crack
The Ultimate in Composite Engineering