Read the Case Study
This London stadium approached Fibrelite to replace their damaged trench covers with a retrofit solution. The London stadium primarily hosts football matches; however it is a multi-event stadium also hosting music concerts, American football (NFL) and athletics.
The client needed a lightweight and durable solution to replace the damaged trench covers. A solution that incurred minimal upheaval to the functionality of the site was also required, so cover dimensions needed to be customised to suit the existing trenches.
Key issues surrounding the existing trench covers and requirements for a replacement:
- Existing trench covers were in poor condition causing a potential trip hazard and manual handling issues
- The trench must be accessed every time the stadium hosts an event, meaning heavy duty equipment had to be hired to remove the heavy existing covers and trench covers each time resulting in higher costs
- Whilst replacement of the covers was essential, the client also sought a solution that would not disrupt the day to day running of the facility – any replacement covers had to fit directly into the existing trenches
Key features of the Fibrelite’s retrofit installation once it was accepted by the London stadium’s Head of Technical Services:
- Fibrelite’s site team attended to install and walkthrough the new ‘fit and forget’ covering arrangement
- The composite trench access covers provided can be easily removed by two people using the ergonomically designed and Fibrelite supplied FL7’s
- Thanks to the coordination and planning between the client and the Fibrelite technical team – the new covering arrangement was installed and fully operational within 2 days
Following this successful installation, we hope to gain further replacement cover work on the numerous pits and trenches located around the stadium.
The customer has now achieved an aesthetically pleasing finish as well as getting the technical benefits of Fibrelite’s GRP trench access covers.
The Ultimate in Composite Engineering